Wheal Coates - 3 (S9)

The much photographed engine house on the edge of the cliff .
The Towanroath Shaft Pumping Engine House at Wheal Coates (1/2 mile north of Chapel Porth) .
It was constructed in 1872 to pump water from the adjacent 600 feet deep Shaft of the Wheal Coates Tin and Copper Mine (1872/1887).
Tin bearing lode was mined initially , then copper lode during the last few years of the mine.
Workings from the shaft extended for up to 450 ft under the sea .
On the cliff top above are more buildings including engine houses(2) for driving winding and stamping equipment.
In its heyday Wheal Coates employed some 140 miners , with tin being transported on the tramways and shipped from Portreath, Hayle, Trevaunance Pier .
-------------------
Location - North of Chapel Porth in Gallery / Section 9
Ref:
228
Date:
2014-09-24 00:00:00.0
Location:
SW 6990.4996
Photographer:

Wheal Coates - 3 (S9)

The much photographed engine house on the edge of the cliff .
The Towanroath Shaft Pumping Engine House at Wheal Coates (1/2 mile north of Chapel Porth) .
It was constructed in 1872 to pump water from the adjacent 600 feet deep Shaft of the Wheal Coates Tin and Copper Mine (1872/1887).
Tin bearing lode was mined initially , then copper lode during the last few years of the mine.
Workings from the shaft extended for up to 450 ft under the sea .
On the cliff top above are more buildings including engine houses(2) for driving winding and stamping equipment.
In its heyday Wheal Coates employed some 140 miners , with tin being transported on the tramways and shipped from Portreath, Hayle, Trevaunance Pier .
-------------------
Location - North of Chapel Porth in Gallery / Section 9
Ref:
228
Date:
2014-09-24 00:00:00.0
Location:
SW 6990.4996
Photographer: