'Storm Tower' / 'The Pepperpot'

In 1835 Sir Thomas Dyke Acland commissioned the architect George Wightwick to build a storm tower on the headland above Compass Point to provide a refuge for the coastguard and to act as an eyecatcher for the town.
An octagonal tower modelled on 'Temple of the Winds' at Athens , with the points of the compass carved as a frieze below the moulded cornice.
In 1900 the building was moved inland to its current position as the original location was suffering from erosion.
Ref:
1703
Date:
2015-06-08 00:00:00.0
Location:
SS 2004.0635
Photographer:

'Storm Tower' / 'The Pepperpot'

In 1835 Sir Thomas Dyke Acland commissioned the architect George Wightwick to build a storm tower on the headland above Compass Point to provide a refuge for the coastguard and to act as an eyecatcher for the town.
An octagonal tower modelled on 'Temple of the Winds' at Athens , with the points of the compass carved as a frieze below the moulded cornice.
In 1900 the building was moved inland to its current position as the original location was suffering from erosion.
Ref:
1703
Date:
2015-06-08 00:00:00.0
Location:
SS 2004.0635
Photographer: