St Nicholas Chapel

The Chapel on Lantern hill behind the Harbour .
The chapel was built in 1321 and a light has been shown from the building since 1522. In 1819 Trinity House took over operation of the light and installed the current lantern. The flashing green light is only lit in the winter months and is visible for 6 nautical miles. The building ceased to be a chapel in 1540 when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries . Restored in 1962 by the Rotarians of the town.
Ref:
3278
Date:
2016-05-13 00:00:00.0
Location:
SS 5236 4770
Photographer:

St Nicholas Chapel

The Chapel on Lantern hill behind the Harbour .
The chapel was built in 1321 and a light has been shown from the building since 1522. In 1819 Trinity House took over operation of the light and installed the current lantern. The flashing green light is only lit in the winter months and is visible for 6 nautical miles. The building ceased to be a chapel in 1540 when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries . Restored in 1962 by the Rotarians of the town.
Ref:
3278
Date:
2016-05-13 00:00:00.0
Location:
SS 5236 4770
Photographer: