Gwennap Pit

A Conical pit made in a collapsed mine shaft which was used by Methodist John Wesley for preaching in 1762 , who described it as a round green hollow / amphitheatre.
Places of outdoor worship were in common use from the 18th century through the Victorian era.
Remodelled and reduced in size in 1806 into an oval shape of 360 ft circumference ,16 ft deep, with 13 tiers of turf seating.
The pit a relic of the mining past is thought to have been the site of many Cock Fights.
The little Busveal Chapel was added alongside the pit in 1836.
--------------------------
Gwennap Pit is to the east of Redruth
Signed from the A3047 / B3298 junction.
Ref:
5437.8
Date:
2017-12-11 00:00:00.0
Location:
SW 7171 4176
Photographer:

Gwennap Pit

A Conical pit made in a collapsed mine shaft which was used by Methodist John Wesley for preaching in 1762 , who described it as a round green hollow / amphitheatre.
Places of outdoor worship were in common use from the 18th century through the Victorian era.
Remodelled and reduced in size in 1806 into an oval shape of 360 ft circumference ,16 ft deep, with 13 tiers of turf seating.
The pit a relic of the mining past is thought to have been the site of many Cock Fights.
The little Busveal Chapel was added alongside the pit in 1836.
--------------------------
Gwennap Pit is to the east of Redruth
Signed from the A3047 / B3298 junction.
Ref:
5437.8
Date:
2017-12-11 00:00:00.0
Location:
SW 7171 4176
Photographer: